Picking up from where we left off in 5 Important Facts about Pedestrian Accidents (Pt. 1), here are some additional essential facts to know about pedestrian accidents.
2. Drivers only need to be traveling at about 10 mph to cause serious injuries in pedestrian accidents.
Tragically, the outcomes of pedestrian accidents can be catastrophic when motorists are traveling as slow as 10 miles per hour (or potentially even slower if they are driving trucks). This is generally because of:
- The dramatic discrepancy in weight between motor vehicles and people (which ends up generating a huge force upon impact that can throw people feet away from the scene of the accident)
- The complete lack of protection from the impact, which ultimately means that pedestrians’ bodies end up absorbing the force from the impact (instead of the frame of a vehicle taking the brunt of an impact when collisions occur).
While pedestrian accidents that involve vehicles going about 10 mph can result in irreversible, debilitating injuries (like, for example, brain and spinal cord injuries), fatal pedestrian accidents can occur when vehicles are going as slow as 30 mph (or less, depending on the size and weight of the vehicle).
3. Young children and the elderly are most often the victims of pedestrian accidents.
The people who are most vulnerable to being injured or killed in pedestrian accidents are most often the people who generally are more vulnerable to other dangers – namely, young children and elderly adults. In fact, as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports:
- Approximately 11 percent of all of the people killed in pedestrian accidents are children who are 14 years old and younger.
- About 20 percent of the children involved in fatal pedestrian accidents were between the ages of 5 and 9 years old.
- People who were 65 years old and older were involved in about 11 percent of all pedestrian accidents resulting in injuries and in nearly 20 percent of all fatal pedestrian accidents.
Be sure to check out the conclusion of this blog for some more important info and facts about pedestrian accidents.
Contact a Boulder Car and Pedestrian Accident Lawyer at Cederberg Law
If you or a loved one has been hit by a car or has been injured in any type of traffic accident, contact a Boulder car and pedestrian accident lawyer at Cederberg Law. Call us at 303-499-0449, or email us using the contact form at the side of the screen.
Since 2011, our esteemed legal professionals have been successful at securing results and compensation for people who have been seriously injured in car accidents and other types of traffic accidents. Having handled countless cases, our attorneys have a deep understanding of the law, as well as the legal experience you need, and we can fiercely defend your rights in any legal setting. In fact, while we are aggressive litigators in court, we are also skilled negotiators outside of court. This makes our trusted lawyers a formidable force that will not back down until you secure the maximum possible compensation for your injuries, expenses and losses.