Currently, Colorado laws pertaining to the use of cellphones for drivers stipulate that:
- All drivers – with the distinct exception of novice drivers who are younger than 18 years old – can talk on handheld cellphones when driving.
- Bus drivers can talk on handheld cellphones when driving.
- All drivers are prohibited from texting while driving.
These Colorado cellphones laws are considered to be primary laws, meaning that police officers can pull over and ticket motorists if they witness them violating these regulations (as opposed to secondary laws, which require that there is some other offense – like running a red light or speeding – triggering the traffic stop).
Penalties for Violating Colorado Cellphone Laws
If drivers violate these Colorado cellphone laws, they are subject to the following possible penalties:
- For a first offense, drivers can receive tickets of $50 (plus a $6 surcharge).
- For a second offense, drivers can receive tickets of $100 (plus a $6 surcharge).
- For a third offense, the ticketing fees can be substantially more expensive.
Colorado Cellphone Laws for Drivers Under 18
Although Colorado cellphone laws prohibit the use of cellphones in any capacity for drivers who are younger than 18 years old, there are a few very specific exceptions to this rule. These exceptions include that young drivers are only allowed to use their cellphones to make phone calls when reporting any of the following events:
- Serious motor vehicle accidents that may involve at least one injury
- Serious roadway hazards, such as dead animals, large tree branches or other large debris being in the road
- Medical emergencies
- Drunk or reckless drivers on the roads.
Contacting the Boulder County Car Accident Lawyers at the Cederberg Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident – or if you have lost a loved one in a motor vehicle accident, contact the Boulder County car accident lawyers at the Cederberg Law Firm by calling us at 303-499-0449 or emailing us using the form at the right-hand side of the screen.
For more than 35 years, our esteemed legal professionals have been successful at securing results and compensation for people who have been seriously injured in car accidents and other types of traffic accidents. Having handled countless cases, our attorneys have a deep understanding of the law, as well as the legal experience you need, and we can fiercely defend your rights in any legal setting. In fact, while we are aggressive litigators in court, we are also skilled negotiators outside of court. This makes our trusted lawyers a formidable force that will not back down until you secure the maximum possible compensation for your injuries, expenses and losses.
At the Cederberg Law Firm P.C., you will not be handed off to a paralegal or assistant. You will receive personal attention and professional service from an experienced lawyer who cares about you and who is dedicated to providing you with superior legal services at every stage of your case. In addition to offering free initial consults and contingency fee options, our lawyers make hospital visits to ensure that you have access to the legal support you need – whenever you need it.