While riding a bicycle is a great way to enjoy the outdoors and get some exercise, it’s also becoming the preferred mode of travel for some, particularly those who may be more environmentally conscious. Although there are various benefits to riding bikes, however, there are also some risks – and those risks increase:
- When riders share the roads with motor vehicles.
- In certain states where bicycle accidents are far more likely to occur.
In fact, according to Insurance Business America, the states where the most fatal bicycle accidents occur each year are:
- Florida, where there are about 6.6 bicycle accident deaths per million
- Louisiana, where there are nearly 4 bicycle accident fatalities per million
- Oregon, where there are nearly 4bicycle accident deaths per million
- Arizona, where there are about 3.6 bicycle accident fatalities per million
- South Carolina, where there are about 3.2 bicycle accident deaths per million
- New Hampshire, where there are just over 3 bicycle accident fatalities per million
- California, where there are just over 3 bicycle accident deaths per million.
Why So Many Bicycle Accident Deaths in these States?
Although researchers have yet to identify just why the above states tend to have the most bicycle accident deaths year after year, one possible reason could be that there are simply more people riding bicycles in these states.
Other contributing factors could include (but may not be limited to):
- More motorists on the roads in these states (i.e., more overall traffic)
- The road conditions, particularly when these involve roads that are in disrepair and/or lack bicycle lanes.
Financial Recovery after Bicycle Accidents
Regardless of where a bicycle accident occurs, if it has been caused – even in part – by some type of negligence, injured riders (or their families if the injuries prove fatal) will likely be entitled to compensation. In fact, some of the parties who may be liable for compensating accident survivors can include (but may not be limited to):
- Other drivers
- Businesses or commercial entities when their drivers hit cyclists
- Bicycle part manufacturers if their faulty equipment causes a bicycle accident
- Municipalities or other public entities if their failure to properly maintain the roads (and signage, etc.) contributes to bike accidents.
Contact a Denver Bicycle Accident Lawyer at the Cederberg Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident – or if you have lost a loved one in a bicycle accident, contact a Denver bicycle accident lawyer at the Cederberg Law Firm to find out more about your best options for financial recovery.
For more than 35 years, our esteemed legal professionals have been successful at securing results and compensation for people who have been seriously injured in traffic accidents and other types of accidents. Having handled countless cases, our attorneys have a deep understanding of the law, as well as the legal experience you need, and we can fiercely defend your rights in any legal setting.
To meet with us at no cost or obligation to you, call us at 303-499-0449 or email us using the form at the side of the screen. In addition to offering free initial consults and contingency fee options, our lawyers make hospital visits to ensure that you have access to the legal support you need – whenever you need it.