Whether motorists are traveling short or long distances, are new drivers or have been driving for years and traveling on isolated or busy roadways, distracted driving is a serious problem that:
- Involves drivers diverting some portion of their focus from the road and the task of driving
- Is a preventable cause of car accidents that results in hundreds of thousands of motor vehicle accidents each year in the U.S.
- Can lead drivers to be named as defendants in car accident lawsuits when this form of reckless driving behavior leads to car accident injuries and/or deaths.
Examples of Distracted Driving Practices
According to a study conducted by the University of North Carolina Highway Safety Research Center (UNC HSRC), some of the specific distractions that commonly divert drivers’ attention from the road include (but are not limited to):
- Objects outside of drivers’ vehicles (such as motor vehicle accidents, pedestrians, construction zones, etc.), which account for nearly 30 percent of all driver distractions
- Cellphones, radios, CD players, GPS and other electronics, which make up nearly 13 percent of all driver distractions
- Other passengers within vehicles, which account for nearly 11 percent of all driver distractions
- Objects within the vehicle, including possibly even the vehicle’s control buttons, which make up more than 10 percent of all driver distractions
- Eating, driving and/or smoking, which account for more than 3 percent of all driver distractions.
For more info regarding the scope and severity of the distracted driving problem in the U.S., be sure to check out the upcoming Part 2 of this blog.
Contacting the Boulder County Car Accident Lawyers at Cederberg Law
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident – or if you have lost a loved one in a motor vehicle accident, contact the Boulder County car accident lawyers at Cederberg Law by calling us at 303-499-0449 or emailing us using the form at the right-hand side of the screen.
Since 2011, our esteemed legal professionals have been successful at securing results and compensation for people who have been seriously injured in car accidents and other types of traffic accidents. Having handled countless cases, our attorneys have a deep understanding of the law, as well as the legal experience you need, and we can fiercely defend your rights in any legal setting. In fact, while we are aggressive litigators in court, we are also skilled negotiators outside of court. This makes our trusted lawyers a formidable force that will not back down until you secure the maximum possible compensation for your injuries, expenses and losses.
At Cederberg Law, you will not be handed off to a paralegal or assistant. You will receive personal attention and professional service from an experienced lawyer who cares about you and who is dedicated to providing you with superior legal services at every stage of your case. In addition to offering free initial consults and contingency fee options, our lawyers make hospital visits to ensure that you have access to the legal support you need – whenever you need it.