Picking up from where we left off in School Bus Accidents: Statistics and Facts (Pt. 1), below we will continue discussing some important facts about school bus accidents in the U.S.
While the first part of this blog focused on highlighting some statistics about school bus accidents (as published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, NHTSA), here we will take a closer look at some of the facts regarding school bus accidents, according to regulators at the NHTSA.
School Bus Accidents and Safety Facts, According to the NHTSA
- Compartmentalization – as opposed to the use of seatbelts – is more effective at protecting children riding school buses. This is due to the size and weight distribution of school buses. Compartmentalization refers to the design of school buses, specifically the seat design, which provides a “protective envelope” of durable, closely packed seats that are constructed to have energy-absorbing backs.
- This does not mean, however, that seatbelts on school buses are ineffective. The NHTSA does not prevent states from enacting their own laws regarding the use of seatbelts on school buses. However, the NHTSA does caution that seatbelts need to be properly worn/used in order to be effective.
- School buses are about 7 times safer than passenger vehicles and light trucks.
- The highest percentage of school bus accident fatalities are related to pedestrian accidents, with the process of boarding and alighting from the school bus posing a greater danger to children than actually riding on the bus.
- Consequently, the NHTSA encourages state regulators to focus on loading zone safety, rather than the installation and use of seatbelts on buses.
Contact a Boulder Bus Accident Lawyer at Cederberg Law
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bus accident – or if you have lost a loved one in a motor vehicle accident, contact a Boulder bus and motor vehicle accident lawyer at Cederberg Law by calling us at 303-499-0449 or emailing us using the form at the side of the screen.
Since 2011, our esteemed legal professionals have been successful at securing results and compensation for people who have been seriously injured in car accidents and other types of traffic accidents. Having handled countless cases, our attorneys have a deep understanding of the law, as well as the legal experience you need, and we can fiercely defend your rights in any legal setting. In fact, while we are aggressive litigators in court, we are also skilled negotiators outside of court. This makes our trusted lawyers a formidable force that will not back down until you secure the maximum possible compensation for your injuries, expenses and losses.
At Cederberg Law, you will not be handed off to a paralegal or assistant. You will receive personal attention and professional service from an experienced lawyer who cares about you and who is dedicated to providing you with superior legal services at every stage of your case. In addition to offering free initial consults and contingency fee options, our lawyers make hospital visits to ensure that you have access to the legal support you need – whenever you need it.