About 23.5 million children in the U.S. regularly ride school buses to get to and from school, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). While these buses are required to be in compliance with some strict safety standards and regulations (as set forth by the NHTSA, among other regulators), they do occasionally get into accidents and, in the worst cases, injure or even kill small children.
In this two-part blog, we will highlight some school bus accident facts and statistics to shed some light on the incidence of these accidents in the U.S. If your child or any loved one has been injured in a school bus accident, don’t hesitate to contact a Boulder bus accident lawyer at the Cederberg Law Firm.
Incidence of School Bus Accidents
According to the NHTSA:
- Over the past decade, 174 school-age children have been killed in school bus accidents. While 55 of these deaths affected kids riding school buses, the majority of these fatalities affected pedestrians who were hit by school buses.
- Each year, 19 children are, on average, killed in school bus accidents. While about 26 percent of these fatalities affect the lives of children riding school buses, the vast majority (i.e., about 74 percent) affect children who are pedestrians hit by school buses.
- About half of the children who are pedestrians involved in fatal school bus accidents are between the ages of 5 and 7 years old.
- When fatal school bus accidents involve at least one other motor vehicle, 71 percent of these deaths end up affecting the occupants of the other vehicles (rather than the occupants of the school bus). This is likely due to the relative size of buses as opposed to smaller, lighter passenger vehicles.
- School buses are one of the safest modes of transportation, and the NHTSA continues to focus on reducing school bus accidents and doing its best to reduce the fatalities caused by these accidents to zero.
Be sure to check out the second part of this blog for some more facts regarding school bus accidents in the U.S.
Contact a Boulder Bus Accident Lawyer at the Cederberg Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been injured in a school bus accident – or if you have lost a loved one in a motor vehicle accident, contact a Boulder bus and motor vehicle accident lawyer at the Cederberg Law Firm by calling us at 303-499-0449 or emailing us using the form at the side of the screen.
For more than 35 years, our esteemed legal professionals have been successful at securing results and compensation for people who have been seriously injured in car accidents and other types of traffic accidents. Having handled countless cases, our attorneys have a deep understanding of the law, as well as the legal experience you need, and we can fiercely defend your rights in any legal setting.
In addition to offering free initial consults and contingency fee options, our lawyers make hospital visits to ensure that you have access to the legal support you need – whenever you need it.