Victims of Drunk Drivers
Each day in the U.S., an estimated 27 people are killed by drunk drivers, according to Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD). While this translates to nearly 10,000 people being killed in DUI-related car accidents every year, about 17,000 more individuals reportedly suffer some type of injury due to being involved in a car accident caused by an intoxicated driver.
Although driving while intoxicated is a crime and these negligent drivers can face serious criminal penalties if convicted, it’s also important to point out that:
- These negligent drivers can be named as defendants in DUI car accident lawsuits and can be sued in civil courts.
- While the legal limit for most drivers is 0.08, the legal blood alcohol limit for truck drivers and other commercial drivers is 0.04.
- Victims of DUI car accidents – whether they are families who have lost a loved one in a drunk driving accident or they are other drivers or vehicle occupants who have been injured – will likely be entitled to compensation for their injuries, damages and other losses.
How Drunk Driving Causes Car Accidents
When drivers negligently and recklessly choose to operate their vehicles after drinking alcohol or taking drugs, they are more likely to cause serious car accidents because:
- Intoxicated drivers have slower reaction times and are more likely to miss crucial visual cues on the road (For example, intoxicated drivers are more likely to not see a red light at an intersection until it’s too late to effectively brake and avoid hitting other vehicles).
- Intoxicated drivers are more likely to fall asleep while driving.
- Intoxicated drivers are more likely to lose focus on the road and be distracted by their cellphones, GPS, sound systems in the vehicle, etc.
Colorado DUI and Drunk Driving Statistics
- Last year, more than 35,000 people were arrested for DUI in Colorado.
- Approximately 1 in every 3 people arrested for DUI in Colorado had been convicted of at least one prior drunk driving offense, and about 17 percent of all those arrested for DUI had already been convicted of DUI at least twice.
- About 72 percent of drunk drivers had blood alcohol concentrations (BAC) that were at least 0.15.
- A total of 161 people were killed in DUI car accidents last year.
Boulder County Car Accident Lawyer
Since 2011, the Boulder car accident lawyer at Cederberg Law has been successful at securing results and compensation for people who have been seriously injured in car accidents caused by other individuals’ negligence and recklessness. Having handled countless cases, our attorney and his legal team have a deep understanding of the law, as well as the legal experience you need, and we can fiercely defend your rights in any legal setting. While we are aggressive litigators in court, we are also skilled negotiators outside of court. This makes our trusted lawyer a formidable force that will not back down until you secure the maximum possible compensation for your injuries, expenses and losses.
At Cederberg Law, you will not be handed off to a paralegal or assistant. You will receive personal attention and professional service from an experienced lawyer who cares about you and who is dedicated to providing you with superior legal services at every stage of your case. In addition to offering free initial consults and contingency fee options, our lawyer makes hospital visits to ensure that you have access to the legal support you need – whenever you need it.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident – or if you have lost a loved one in a car accident, call us at 303-499-0449 or email us using the form at the left-hand side of the screen to learn more about your rights and receive a thorough, professional evaluation of your case for free.