Texting While Driving Car Accident
Texting while driving is a form of distracted driving that has gained much attention in recent years due to the ever-growing popularity of cell phones, as well as the fact that it has caused numerous car accidents. This is because:
- Texting while driving takes drivers’ attention off of the road for at least 5 seconds (which is the length of a football field when drivers are traveling at about 55 mph).
- Texting while driving increases the risk of car accidents by more than 23 times.
- Drivers who are 20 years old and younger (i.e., more inexperienced drivers) are far more likely to be texting while driving, as more than 13 percent have reported doing so at the time they were involved in a car accident.
- Drivers who text while driving spend about 10 percent of their driving time not driving within their lane of traffic.
Colorado Texting While Driving Law
According to Colorado law, texting while driving is illegal for all drivers unless the act of texting is being done in an emergency situation. Such emergency situations are legally defined as circumstances in which an individual:
- Fears for his own life or safety
- Believes that another individual’s life or safety may be at risk due to the perpetration of some crime
- Is reporting a fire, a serious road hazard and/or a traffic accident in which there may be at least one injured person
- Is reporting a drunk driver or another driver operating his vehicle negligently, recklessly or unsafely.
While police officers need to witness the act of texting in order for drivers to be convicted of breaking this law, when a conviction does occur, an individual:
- Can be fined between $50 and $100 (depending on whether it’s his first offense)
- Can be held accountable in civil court if the texting while driving caused a car accident that injured anyone else.
Boulder Car Accident Lawyer
Since 2011, the Boulder car accident lawyer at Cederberg Law has been successful at securing results and compensation for people who have been seriously injured in car accidents caused by other individuals’ negligence and recklessness. Having handled countless cases, our attorney and his legal team have a deep understanding of the law, as well as the legal experience you need, and we can fiercely defend your rights in any legal setting. While we are aggressive litigators in court, we are also skilled negotiators outside of court. This makes our trusted lawyer a formidable force that will not back down until you secure the maximum possible compensation for your injuries, expenses and losses.
At Cederberg Law, you will not be handed off to a paralegal or assistant. You will receive personal attention and professional service from an experienced lawyer who cares about you and who is dedicated to providing you with superior legal services at every stage of your case. In addition to offering free initial consults and contingency fee options, our lawyer makes hospital visits to ensure that you have access to the legal support you need – whenever you need it.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident – or if you have lost a loved one in a car accident, call us at 303-499-0449 or email us using the form at the left-hand side of the screen to learn more about your rights and receive a thorough, professional evaluation of your case for free.