The National Safety Council (NSC) has dubbed April 2014 as Distracted Driving Awareness Month in an effort to bring awareness to this completely preventable and all-too-common cause of serious motor vehicle accidents. Although any number of activities can be the cause of distracted driving, the NSC’s primary focus in its ongoing campaign is to encourage drivers to put down their cellphones and refrain from using hands-free devices while driving so that they make a concentrated effort to focus on the task of driving.
According to the NSC’s press release, drivers can do their part to support this campaign by:
- Not using their cellphones when driving (even if it is not illegal to use cellphones when driving in their specific state)
- Being aware that hands-free devices are not risk free, as these devices can be as distracting as cellphones for motorists
- Spreading the word about this campaign and encouraging others to join.
Distracted Driving Statistics
As part of its effort to drive home the point that distracted driving and the use of cellphones/hands-free devices is a serious threat to American motorists, the NSC has presented various distracted driving statistics on its site. Some of these report that:
- More than 90 percent of all car accidents are caused by some type of human error (rather than by mechanical failures or adverse environmental conditions).
- Approximately 26 percent of all motor vehicle accidents involve the use of cellphones, including hands-free devices.
- When people are talking on or listening to someone else on a cellphone, their ability to focus on the roadway decreases by about 33 percent.
- Recent studies have shown that voice-to-text technology may be even more distracting to drivers than simply manually typing text messages.
Visit the NSC’s website for downloadable materials that can help you spread the word about National Distracted Driving Awareness month.
How the Boulder Car Accident Lawyers at the Cederberg Law Firm Can Help You
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident that may have been caused by a distracted driver, contact the Boulder car accident lawyers at the Cederberg Law Firm by calling us at 303-499-0449 or by emailing us using the form at the side of the screen.
For more than 35 years, our esteemed legal professionals have been effective at securing results and compensation for people who have been seriously injured in traffic accidents caused by others’ negligence. Having handled countless cases, our attorneys have a deep understanding of the law, as well as the legal experience you need, and we can fiercely defend your rights in any legal setting.
At the Cederberg Law Firm P.C., you will not be handed off to a paralegal or assistant. You will receive personal attention and professional service from an experienced lawyer who cares about you and who is dedicated to providing you with superior legal services at every stage of your case. In addition to offering free initial consults and contingency fee options, our lawyers make hospital visits to ensure that you have access to the legal support you need – whenever you need it.