Last week, officials at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) kicked off the first-ever tween seatbelt campaign, which is “aimed at parents of children ages 8-14 to make sure their kids are consistently and properly wearing their seatbelt every time the car is moving.”
In noting the importance of seatbelt use among tweens, the NHTSA reported that:
- Seatbelt use among tweens tends to decrease as they are driven between daily activities and short errands that are part of their “daily grind.”
- Parents tend to be less vigilant about enforcing seatbelt use among their tweens/children during such errands.
- As tweens become teens, they are far less likely to buckle up.
- Over the past 5 years, about half of the 8 to 14 year olds killed in fatal motor vehicle accidents were not wearing their seatbelts at the time of the collision.
The NHTSA Tween Seatbelt Campaign: What Parents Can Do
According to the official press release regarding this new NHTSA tween seatbelt campaign, here’s what parents can do:
- Instill good habits now – Essentially, make sure your children always buckle up. In fact, the message the NHTSA is encouraging parents to deliver to children is that, “the car doesn’t move until everyone in the vehicle is buckled up.” Making this a habit now can help ensure safe driving habits later, particularly when it’s time for your child to start driving on his or her own.
- Be a good example themselves – While it’s important to remind children to wear seatbelts, it’s just as crucial that parents themselves buckle up and set a good example for their children. This can also help make wearing seatbelts a long-term habit.
The radio spot for this NHTSA tween seatbelt campaign perfectly sums up the message:
You’re the driver. The one in control. Stand firm. Just wait. And move only when you hear the click that says they’re buckled in for the drive.
Contacting a Denver Car Accident Lawyer at Cederberg Law
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident – or if you have lost a loved one in a motor vehicle accident, contact a Denver car accident lawyer at Cederberg Law to find out more about your best options for financial recovery.
Since 2011, our esteemed legal professionals have been successful at securing results and compensation for people who have been seriously injured in car accidents and other types of traffic accidents. Having handled countless cases, our attorneys have a deep understanding of the law, as well as the legal experience you need, and we can fiercely defend your rights in any legal setting.
To meet with us at no cost or obligation to you, call us at 303-499-0449 or email us using the form at the side of the screen. In addition to offering free initial consults and contingency fee options, our lawyers make hospital visits to ensure that you have access to the legal support you need – whenever you need it.