In fact, when it comes to falling at home, the CSPC has explained that:
- The number one cause of product-related injuries among the elderly is falling down.
- About 67 percent of elderly people who seek ER care are doing so for falling injuries.
Additionally, the CSPC has pointed out that, when home fires break out, the elderly are far more likely than the general population to sustain fatal injuries.
Knowing that elderly people face such risks at home – and that some may be living with declining health that may prevent them from being able to recognize and fix potential safety hazards, the CPSC has published some safety tips to help families combat and minimize these risks.
CPSC Tips for Reducing the Risk of Falls at Home
To minimize the chances that your elderly loved ones will fall at home, the CPSC recommends:
- Keeping stairways well lit
- Repairing broken handrails for stairs (or installing handrails if none are present)
- Keeping walkways clear of clutter
- Repairing broken flooring
- Removing non-skid mats or rugs
- Adding grab bars around bathroom features (like showers, tubs and toilets)
- Checking/updating elderly loved ones’ eyeglasses prescriptions
- Getting them mobility aides if needed.
To minimize the chances of a home fire, the CSPC recommends:
- Having and going over an emergency escape plan with an elderly loved one
- Installing CO and smoke detectors in their homes
- Going over fire prevention and fire safety with them (especially before wintertime).
Contact a Denver Personal Injury Lawyer at the Cederberg Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been injured on an unsafe property or due to the use of a defective product, contact a Denver personal injury lawyer at the Cederberg Law Firm to find out more about your best options for financial recovery.
For more than 35 years, our esteemed legal professionals have been successful at securing results and compensation for people who have been seriously injured in car accidents and other types of traffic accidents. Having handled countless cases, our attorneys have a deep understanding of the law, as well as the legal experience you need, and we can fiercely defend your rights in any legal setting.
To meet with us at no cost or obligation to you, call us at 303-499-0449 or email us using the form at the side of the screen. In addition to offering free initial consults and contingency fee options, our lawyers make hospital visits to ensure that you have access to the legal support you need – whenever you need it.