Wrapping up our two-part blog DUI Accidents: How Often Drunk Drivers Cause Accidents in the U.S., here we will continue our discussion regarding drunk driving accidents, their frequency and their serious impacts.
While the first part of this blog focused on providing some general statistics regarding how often fatal DUI accidents take place, below we will underscore how often people drive drunk and what the costs of DUI accidents are in the U.S.
More Statistics on DUIs, Drunk Drivers and DUI Accidents
On average, drunk drivers have typically driven while intoxicated at least 80 times prior to being arrested for DUI for the first time.
- Motorists between the ages of 21 and 25 years old are the most likely to be driving while intoxicated.
- While DUI accidents are nearly 5 times more likely to take place at nighttime (as opposed to during the day), they are also far more likely to occur on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. In fact, more than 30 percent of all motorists involved in fatal traffic accidents that occurred over the weekends were reportedly intoxicated; in contrast, about 15 percent of drivers involved in fatal traffic accidents that took place during the week were reportedly drunk.
- DUI accidents cost the U.S. economy $199 billion every year. This works out to a cost of approximately $800 per person in the U.S. each year.
The Bottom Line: DUI Accidents Are Entirely Preventable
The bottom line when it comes to DUI accidents is that the negligence that causes these injurious and often deadly collisions is entirely preventable. In other words, DUI accidents would not occur if people didn’t make the reckless and negligent choice to get behind the wheel after drinking.
While you can only make the choice to not drive drunk for yourself, if you end up being hurt in a DUI accident caused by another driver, you should know that you can:
- Hold the negligent drivers accountable by filing a car accident lawsuit against these motorists
- Obtain compensation for your medical bills, property damage, lost wages, mental suffering and other losses by pursuing this legal action.
Contact a Denver Car Accident Lawyer at the Cederberg Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been injured in a DUI accident – or if you have been hurt in any type of motor vehicle accident, contact a Denver car accident lawyer at the Cederberg Law Firm by calling us at 303-499-0449 or emailing us using the form at the side of the screen.
For more than 35 years, our esteemed legal professionals have been successful at securing results and compensation for people who have been seriously injured in car accidents and other types of traffic accidents. Having handled countless cases, our attorneys have a deep understanding of the law, as well as the legal experience you need, and we can fiercely defend your rights in any legal setting.
In addition to offering free initial consults and contingency fee options, our lawyers make hospital visits to ensure that you have access to the legal support you need – whenever you need it.