Continuing from Driving Safety: What to Do When Cars Skid on Icy Roads (Part 1), here is some more information regarding how to operate your vehicle when it starts skidding on icy and snowy roads. While the first installation of this blog concentrated on discussing what drivers should do if the back wheels of their car lose traction and start skidding on icy roads, this second installation will focus on what drivers should do if and when the front wheels of their car start skidding.
When the Front Wheels of Your Car Lose Traction…
If you are driving on icy roads and the front wheels of your car start skidding, here’s what you should do:
- Just like when the rear wheels skid, the first thing you should do is stop accelerating and take your right foot off of the accelerator pedal.
- Shift the car out of drive and into neutral.
- Wait to start steering the car until you feel the wheels slowly start to regain traction (this will happen naturally as the movement of the car slows the vehicle).
- Once some traction has palpably returned, slowly start to turn the steering wheel in the direction you want the car to move.
- When the car responds appropriately to your steering, shift the vehicle back into drive (or, if you drive a manual car, release the clutch), and begin to accelerate ever so slightly.
If your vehicle’s front wheels skid radically and cause your car to crash into another vehicle or a fixed object, call police and follow these tips for what to do after a car accident.
Contacting the Boulder County Car Accident Lawyers at the Cederberg Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident – or if you have lost a loved one in a motor vehicle accident, contact the Boulder County car accident lawyers at the Cederberg Law Firm by calling us at 303-499-0449 or emailing us using the form at the right-hand side of the screen.
For more than 35 years, our esteemed legal professionals have been successful at securing results and compensation for people who have been seriously injured in car accidents and other types of traffic accidents. Having handled countless cases, our attorneys have a deep understanding of the law, as well as the legal experience you need, and we can fiercely defend your rights in any legal setting. In fact, while we are aggressive litigators in court, we are also skilled negotiators outside of court. This makes our trusted lawyers a formidable force that will not back down until you secure the maximum possible compensation for your injuries, expenses and losses.
At the Cederberg Law Firm P.C., you will not be handed off to a paralegal or assistant. You will receive personal attention and professional service from an experienced lawyer who cares about you and who is dedicated to providing you with superior legal services at every stage of your case. In addition to offering free initial consults and contingency fee options, our lawyers make hospital visits to ensure that you have access to the legal support you need – whenever you need it.