Here is the conclusion to our three-part blog series How to Determine Fault after Car Accidents: 5 Steps.
Final Steps to Take to Determine Fault after Car Accidents
Step 4 – Note statements made by other drivers involved in the collision.
Immediately after getting into car accidents, other involved motorists may say things like:
- I’m sorry for hitting you.
- I didn’t mean to hit you.
- I didn’t see or know you there.
Such statements can be very telling as to other motorists’ potential liability in the accident, and they may be very important when it comes time for an insurer to determine fault after car accidents when evaluating collision claims.
So, if you aren’t too severely injured or hurt after a motor vehicle accident, be sure to:
- Note any statements like this that may be made by others involved in the collision.
- Report these statements to your lawyer and insurer so they can use them in their investigation of your car accident claim.
Step 5 – Note statements made by witnesses to the accident.
Just as statements made by other drivers after a car accident can be critical to determining fault after collisions (and, consequently, the success of a future car accident claim), so too can statements made by witnesses to the motor vehicle accident be pivotal.
Here, it’s also important to note that:
- You may not have the time or capacity to interview witnesses after your collision, and don’t try to do so if you’ve been injured in the accident.
- Witness statements, as well as their contact information, will generally be available in the police report for the collision, so you can either request a copy of this report or have your attorney do it on your behalf.
The Bottom Line: You May Need Professional Help Determining Fault
To determine fault after car accidents, the bottom line is that:
- There can be a number of factors to consider, and you (or the accident victim) may not be familiar with what these aspects are or how they can be important.
- Factors not immediately present or obvious at the scene of an accident can also impact liability determinations (such as when defective vehicle equipment may have contributed to the collision).
- It is typically in accident victims’ best interests to retain an attorney after serious car accidents to ensure they are able to secure the full amount of compensation to which they may be entitled.
You Can Rely on a Denver Car Accident Lawyer at the Cederberg Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident – or if you have lost a loved one in a motor vehicle accident, contact an experienced Denver car accident lawyer at the Cederberg Law Firm to find out more about your best options for financial recovery.
To find out more about how we can help you, meet with us at no cost or obligation to you. To set up this meeting, call us at 303-499-0449 or email us using the form at the side of the screen. In addition to offering free initial consults and contingency fee options, our lawyers make hospital visits to ensure that you have access to the legal support you need – whenever you need it.