Drivers beware – Colorado State Patrol (CSP) has just started its rural Click It or Ticket seatbelt enforcement campaign, which will run through Sunday, April 5. In conjunction with the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT), CSP is focused on increasing seatbelt use:
- Among rural motorists in an effort to prevent more collisions and save more lives
- 6 percent among Colorado motorists to reach a target seatbelt use rate of 84 percent.
‘Click It or Ticket’ Campaign Highlights Seatbelt Use Statistics
Underscoring the importance of seatbelt use and the Click It or Ticket campaign, CSP has presented the following statistics:
- About 56 percent of the motorists who were killed in fatal motor vehicle accidents in Colorado in 2013 were NOT wearing their seatbelts or other restraints at the time of the collision.
- In 2012, about 12,174 lives across the U.S. were saved due to seatbelt use. Researchers estimate that an additional 3,000 lives could have been saved if “all unrestrained passenger vehicle occupants five and older involved in fatal crashes had been properly restrained.”
- In 2014, the rural Click It or Ticket campaign cited 1,723 motorists for failing to wear their seatbelts.
- More than 90 percent of these tickets were issued to motorists over the age of 21.
To start bringing these numbers down, the CSP will be working with rural counties over the next week or so to disseminate education and outreach materials; additionally, CSP will be running radio spots in these counties to alert drivers to this campaign.
Highlighting the importance of this campaign, Darrell Lingk, the Director of the CDOT’s Office of Transportation Safety, explained, “clicking a seat belt is a quick and easy way to protect yourself, and your family, from other drivers on the road – including impaired drivers.”
You Can Rely On a Denver Car Accident Lawyer at the Cederberg Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident – or if you have lost a loved one in a motor vehicle accident, contact a Denver car accident lawyer at the Cederberg Law Firm to find out more about your best options for financial recovery.
For more than 35 years, our esteemed legal professionals have been successful at securing results and compensation for people who have been seriously injured in car accidents and other types of traffic accidents. This means that our attorneys have a deep understanding of the law, as well as the legal experience you need and can depend on, and we can fiercely defend your rights in any legal setting.
Contact Us for a Free Case Evaluation
You can meet with us at no cost or obligation to you to learn more about your rights and best options for proceeding. To set up this meeting, call us at 303-499-0449 or email us using the contact form at the side of the screen.
In addition to offering free initial consults and contingency fee options, our lawyers make hospital visits to ensure that you have access to the legal support you need – whenever you need it.