Born in 1954 in York, Pennsylvania, Jim is the second of nine children. He worked his way through high school and college in a variety of jobs including apartment maintenance, construction and factory work, and taxi driving. He graduated from Duke University. This background gives him a unique ability to work with clients and witnesses from all walks of life. He has been married for thirty-eight years and is the father of three sons, ages 33, 32, and 28. He has lived in Boulder County since 1975.
Because of his background, Jim Cederberg believes that from those to whom much has been given, much is expected. He has a tremendous belief in the need for an excellent education for our children. He believes that to fully develop the potential of our young people, excellent education must be offered by the public schools. As a result, he has been extensively involved in the schools in Boulder. Jim Cederberg is also active in the world community. He established a foundation to support orphans and introduce baseball to kids in Kenya, 42/22: Humanity Through Baseball. He serves on the board of directors of International Peace Initiatives, a non-profit supporting an orphanage and community development center in Kenya.
SUMMIT MIDDLE SCHOOL
Boulder Valley’s first Charter School, emphasizing challenging academics for 6th through 8th graders. Widely recognized as one of the finest middle schools in Colorado and the United States.
– Co-Founder, 1995
– Represented Summit in appeal to the Colorado State Board of Education, June 1995. Won a Charter for Summit.
– Received awards from fellow founders of Summit for “dedication and invaluable service to the Summit Middle School Program and the far-reaching improvement of the quality of the Boulder Valley Schools,” and for outstanding work representing Summit before the State Board of Education.
– Received award from Summit Board of Directors – “In recognition of your courageous leadership, distinguished service, and unwavering dedication to Summit”
– Elected to Board of Directors, 1996-98, 1998-2000, 2000-2002.
– Chair, Board of Directors, 1997-98, 1998-99, 2000-2001.
– Chair, Board of Directors, Supporters of Summit, 2003-2005, 2006-present.
FAIRVIEW HIGH SCHOOL
– Co-Founder, International Baccalaureate Focus School Program, 1994.
– Parent Steering Committee, International Baccalaureate Program, 1995-2004.
– Parent representative, IB Administrative Team, 1996-97, 1997-98, 1998-99, 1999-2000.
PARENTS AND SCHOOLS
Grass roots community group dedicated to fostering academic excellence in public schools. Co-Founder, 1992.
The father of three sons, Jim has served as a Cub Scout leader, Little League Baseball and youth basketball coach.
Founder and President, 42/22: Humanity Through Baseball Foundation, Inc., www.42-22.org, is dedicated to teaching baseball to youth in Kenya and supporting HIV/AIDS orphans there.