Aurora, Colorado-based trucking company Sorbon Transport, Inc. (USDOT No. 2536669) has recently been ordered to shut down by federal trucking regulators at the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). As part of this order, which took effect near the end of February, the FMCSA:
- Declared Sorbon Transport to be an “imminent hazard to public safety”
- Uncovered numerous violations of critical federal trucking regulations.
How Sorbon Transport Violated Federal Trucking Regulations
This unexpected shutdown of Sorbon Transport occurred as a result of FMCSA investigators conducting a surprise investigation into the CO trucking company earlier in this past February. As a result of this investigation, FMCSA regulators found that Sorbon Transport had:
- Failed to regularly and systematically inspect, maintain and repair its trucks
- Failed to make sure that its truck drivers were in full compliance with federal hours-of-service regulations (which are in place to prevent trucker fatigue-related truck accidents)
- Failed to ensure that its truck drivers were appropriately qualified to drive commercial trucks – In fact, the CO trucking company was not able to provide the FMCSA investigators with any records regarding testing its drivers for drug and/or alcohol use.
At this point, the official shutdown of Sorbon Transport means that:
- The company’s USDOT number has been suspended.
- The company is not legally permitted to have any commercial vehicles operating.
- The company may end up having to cough up as much as $60,000 in civil penalties (for violating federal trucking regulations), as well as up to $25,000 in additional criminal fines (if the violations result in a criminal case).
Explaining the FMCSA’s actions, Acting Administrator Scott Darling noted that:
Companies that ignore basic safety maintenance of their equipment, disregard hours of service requirements, and use unqualified drivers have no place on our highways and roads… FMCSA staff across the country are dedicated to protecting innocent lives by preventing crashes involving large commercial motor vehicles from ever occurring.
You Can Count on a Denver Truck Accident Lawyer at the Cederberg Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident – or in any motor vehicle accident, contact a Denver truck accident lawyer at the Cederberg Law Firm to find out more about your best options for financial recovery.
For close to four decades, our esteemed legal professionals have been successful at securing results and compensation for people who have been seriously injured in truck accidents and other types of traffic accidents. This means that our lawyers have the knowledge, skills and experience that you can count on for the best possible outcomes in your particular case.