Underride truck accidents refer to car versus truck accidents that occur when passenger vehicles get clipped by and trapped beneath trucks (i.e., cars “ride under” trucks). These types of car versus truck accidents:
- Typically cause the point of impact to be around the level of the passenger vehicle’s occupants’ heads
- Are, as a result, among the most deadly types of motor vehicle accidents that can occur
- Are responsible for about 25 percent of all truck accident fatalities that occur each year in the U.S. (according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)
- Are commonly caused by the negligent or reckless behavior of one or more other drivers.
In the event that an underride truck accident is caused by any motorist’s negligence or recklessness, accident victims will likely have a car accident claim and can obtain compensation for their injuries, medical bills, property damage and mental suffering by filing a lawsuit against the negligent party (or parties).
Types of Underride Truck Accidents
The two types of underride truck accidents include:
- Side underride truck accidents, which involve passenger vehicles colliding with the side of trucks. These types of underride truck accidents are more likely to occur when:
- Truck drivers are crossing busy streets or intersections
- Truck drivers are making turns, U-turns and/or changing lanes
- At dusk or night when visibility can be impaired due to decreasing or nonexistent sunlight
- Rear underride truck accidents, which involve passenger vehicles crashing into the back of trucks. These specific types of rear-end collisions are more likely to take place when passenger vehicle drivers are unable to detect that a truck driver is slowing down and/or is stopped (and, therefore, passenger vehicle drivers are unable to slow or stop their vehicle soon enough and end up running into the back of trucks).
Check out our upcoming Part 2 of this blog to learn more about some of the specific causes of underride truck accidents.
Contacting the Boulder County Car and Truck Accident Lawyers at the Cederberg Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car versus truck accident – or if you have lost a loved one in any type of motor vehicle accident, contact the Boulder County car and truck accident lawyers at the Cederberg Law Firm by calling us at 303-499-0449 or emailing us using the form at the right-hand side of the screen.
For more than 35 years, our esteemed legal professionals have been successful at securing results and compensation for people who have been seriously injured in car accidents and other types of traffic accidents. Having handled countless cases, our attorneys have a deep understanding of the law, as well as the legal experience you need, and we can fiercely defend your rights in any legal setting. In fact, while we are aggressive litigators in court, we are also skilled negotiators outside of court. This makes our trusted lawyers a formidable force that will not back down until you secure the maximum possible compensation for your injuries, expenses and losses.
At the Cederberg Law Firm P.C., you will not be handed off to a paralegal or assistant. You will receive personal attention and professional service from an experienced lawyer who cares about you and who is dedicated to providing you with superior legal services at every stage of your case. In addition to offering free initial consults and contingency fee options, our lawyers make hospital visits to ensure that you have access to the legal support you need – whenever you need it.