By the time you’re in your teens or early 20s, pretty much everyone has figured out the power of ‘brand name’ products. Take for instance these names: iPhone, Levis, and Cadillac. For years, and in some cases for decades, these products because of their brand name have stood atop the field of the marketplace as the ‘best of the best.’
So, what happens when a fraudulent entrepreneur decides to make a knock off of a certain brand? Well, not only does it delute the market and devalue the original, but in many cases it can be dangerous to your health.
Reasons Why Imitation Products Are Dangerous
It shouldn’t be any secret either that most counterfeit products are manufactured in Asia and China to be more exact. There’s not a lot of regulation going on there, which is another reason as to why the products can be dangerous. But, here’s list of several reasons for the dangers surrounding counterfeit products:1
- Many imitation manufacturers don’t have the same or perhaps any quality control as the original brand manufacturer would. So, many turn a blind eye to safety standards.
- Buying personal care items such as toothpaste, shampoo, and even medicines can be taking a huge risk, if taken or used.
- An undercover investigation by the UK’s The Times found China has made counterfeit drugs imitating Plavix, a blood thinner; Casodex, a hormone for treating prostate cancer; and Zyprexa, a schizophrenia drug.2
- Buying illegal software that has been hacked or cracked, and repurposed on blank CDs can be a costly endeavor, if you are caught by the federal government using it.
- Even the U.S. Food and Drug Administration gets reports of imitation food, such as one incident of several inquiries concerning the ingredients in one manufacturer’s breaded shrimp, which turned out to be an imitation food or “jam-like” food product.
What are the Current Top Brands?
Well, Forbes Magazine actually came out with the definite list of “The World’s Most Valuable Brands.” Here is the top 10 of that list:³
Contact a Boulder Personal Injury Lawyer at the Cederberg Law Firm
Have you or a loved one been injured by a defective or counterfeit product? If so, contact a Boulder personal injury lawyer at the Cederberg Law Firm to see how our legal team can best be of service in getting you the justice you deserve and any financial compensation for damages.
For more than 35 years, our Boulder personal injury lawyer has been successful at winning cases and getting the court-ordered awards and settlements our clients need, if they have been injured by negligence.
Let’s set up a free, no obligation initial consultation to meet and discuss your case. Call today at 303-499-0449 or email our firm using the form at the side of the screen.
1“Beware: Buying fake products is dangerous” published in Khaleej Times, August 2016.
2“5 surprising and dangerous counterfeit products” published in the International Business Times, February 2011.
3“The World’s Most Valuable Brands” published in Forbes, 2016.