In light of our recent blog on the NHTSA’s Safer People, Safer Streets Initiative, we thought it would be a good time to present some bicycle safety tips for cyclists and motorists. These tips, which have been adapted from DOT safety tips, can help everyone do their part to:
- Reduce the risk of injury to other travelers on the road
- Keep the roads as safe as possible.
Bicycle Safety Tips for Cyclists
For those who ride their bicycles on the roads, safety tips are as follows:
- Wear the proper safety equipment when riding. This includes a safety helmet.
- Before riding, be sure to check the equipment on your bike to ensure it’s in proper working order. Specifically, check your tires, brakes, seat and handlebars (at the very least).
- Always comply with traffic laws and traffic signs.
- Use the proper hand signals before making turns.
- Be as predictable – and visible – as possible to other motorists.
- Don’t ride drunk and minimize your distractions when riding so you can stay alert to the changing driving environment.
- Do your best to always ride defensively.
Bicycle Safety Tips for Motorists
For motorists who share the road with cyclists, safety tips are as follows:
- Be aware of the bicycle lane and respect it. Don’t enter this lane to park your vehicle, pass other vehicles, etc.
- Leave at least 3 feet of room/clearance when passing bicyclists.
- Before pulling out of parking spaces or opening car doors, be sure to look for cyclists.
- Comply with the rights-of-way for cyclists. Yield to them at intersections and as directed by signs/signals.
- Before making turns and/or changing lanes, be sure to look for cyclists.
- Never drive drunk and minimize distractions when driving so you can stay alert to cyclists.
What do you think of these safety tips? Are there others you follow that should be included here? Share your comments with us on Facebook & Google+.
Denver Bicycle Accident Lawyer at the Cederberg Law Firm
Have you or someone you love been hurt in a bicycle accident (or any motor vehicle accident)? If so, contact a Denver bicycle accident attorney at the Cederberg Law Firm to find out more about your best options for financial recovery.
For more than 35 years, our esteemed legal professionals have been successful at securing results and compensation for people who have been seriously injured in traffic accidents. In fact, while we are aggressive litigators in court, we are also skilled negotiators outside of court. This makes our trusted lawyers a formidable force that will not back down until you secure the maximum possible compensation for your injuries, expenses and losses.