Pedestrian accidents are among the most catastrophic and deadly traffic accidents that can occur. In general, this is because:
- There is a significant discrepancy between the weight and size of motor vehicles versus pedestrians, which means that severe damage can be done when vehicles hit people even at very low speeds.
- Pedestrians don’t have any protections or structures to absorb the impact of vehicles.
In this blog series, we will take a closer look at some additional important info to know about pedestrian accidents in the U.S. If you or someone you love has been injured in a pedestrian accident – or if you have lost your loved one in a fatal pedestrian accident, don’t hesitate to contact Cederberg Law to find out more about your options for pursuing justice and financial recovery.
Pedestrian Accidents: The Facts
1 – Someone in the U.S. is hurt in a pedestrian accident every 7 or so minutes.
According to regulators at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), approximately 76,000 people are injured in pedestrian accidents each year in the U.S., which means that, every 7 or so minutes, someone in America is hurt in a pedestrian accident.
The NHTSA also reports that fatal pedestrian accidents:
- Total nearly 4,800 annually in the U.S.
- Occur once about every 2 or so hours on a U.S. roadway.
2 – Pedestrian accidents have been increasing in the U.S. in recent years.
What may be more shocking than the above statistics related to pedestrian accidents in the U.S. is the finding that, according to NHTSA officials, the incidence of pedestrian accidents has increased by about 6 percent over the past four or so years. In fact, as the NHTSA reports:
- In 2012 (the most recent year for which pedestrian accident statistics are currently available), there were about 300 more fatal pedestrian accidents than there had been in 2011.
- Fatal pedestrian accidents accounted for approximately 14 percent of all traffic accident-related deaths.
- Nonfatal pedestrian accidents comprised about 3 percent of all traffic accident-related injuries.
For our continued discussion regarding pedestrian accidents in the U.S., don’t miss the second and third parts of this blog series that will be published soon!
Denver Pedestrian Accident Lawyer at Cederberg Law
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a pedestrian accident or in any type motor vehicle accident, it’s time to contact a Denver pedestrian accident lawyer at Cederberg Law to learn more about your options for financial recovery.
Since 2011, our esteemed legal professionals have been successful at securing results and compensation for people who have been seriously injured in car accidents and other types of traffic accidents. Having handled countless cases, our attorneys have a deep understanding of the law, as well as the legal experience you need, and we can fiercely defend your rights in any legal setting.
Contact Us for a Free Case Evaluation
To meet with us at no cost or obligation to you, call us at 303-499-0449 or email us using the form at the side of the screen.
In addition to offering free initial consults and contingency fee options, our lawyers make hospital visits to ensure that you have access to the legal support you need – whenever you need it.